We continue along Prospekt Stachek, in the direction of
Avtovo metro station.
No. 67, block 1 and 3, at the corner of
Prospekt Stachek and Zenitchikov Street. On the photograph, Prospekt
Stachek goes to the left.
The architects were V.A. Kamenskii and G.L.
In 1952 this block was awarded an All-Union Prize for Architecture.
No. 69, at the other side of Zaitsev Street.
This is, most likely, no. 80 Prospekt Stachek.
The architects were
V.F. Belov and D.S. Doroshenko, 1950-1951.
According to the old numbering, this house was no. 102.
The next house after it (no. 82) is the pre-war building Avtovo
(1937-1941), by a group of architects under the leadership of A.A. Ol.
Among the members of this group were V.F. Belov, V.A. Kamenskii, L.E.
Ass, who afterwards turned great masters in their own right.
Who did what specifically is difficult to say now. Some of these houses
were completed only after the war. By then the general responsibility
for the construction in the region had passed to V.A. Kamenskii.
balcony was apparently completed by the inhabitants :)
We are coming closer to Avtovo metro station (it will appear on our left
Zaitsev Street (Prospekt Stachek is right behind us).
The dark house
is no. 3, Zaitsev Street.
I cannot say anything about these houses (except that they are from
the Stalin period).
No. 67, block 3, by the same architect.
Zaitsev Street goes in to the distance, smoothly changing into the
Turukhtanny Islands road (that's what the street is called :)
To the right behind the houses, the Northern Shipyard ("Severnaya Verf")
takes up a considerable area.
The top of this tower reminds one of a
bell-tower, of the kind that used to be built next to churches. For
example, like this one (in
Novgorod the Great).
Apparently, this is no. 73 united by an
arch with no. 69. Still, it's not a fact.
A balcony, close up.
Avtovo metro station and no. 90 to the
left of it (1959).
According to readers, there are similar houses in
the Komsomol Square area, and one of them used to be inhabited by KGB
workers. High ceilings, large kitchens, good lay-out (some rooms are
The metro station was built in 1955
according to drawings by E.A. Levinson and A.A. Grushke.
This was the final station when the metro had just been opened.
Avtovo is actually the name of a village
that was here (opposite today's metro station) from the early 17th
century. Translated from Finnish, it means "waste ground" or "empty
Parts of the decorations have the theme
of the Soviet people's victory in the Great Fatherland War.
The house opposite Avtovo metro station
(which formerly housed the Narva restaurant as told by the inscription
at the top of the house) is Prospekt Stachek no. 75.
It was built in 1960-1961 by the architects V.A. Kamenskii and N.Z.
Some say that this house perfectly repeats a bend in the outline of
the old village.
The house visible in the left
part of the previous photograph is Prospekt Stachek no. 77. The
architect was V.A. Kamenskii, early 1950s.
A viaduct (the Avtovo Roundabout).
It was built over the railways leading to
the Ocean Port's moorings. This crossing used to be the source of large
One of the readers holds the opinion that the rapid construction of
this viaduct was not only caused by the congestion, but at least as much
by the need for government motorcades to go to the south of the city
(particularly to Strelna). A viaduct is in that respect better than a
crossing, because one can travel along it at great speed.
The viaduct was completed in November
last year (2002), in time for the 300 years' anniversary finished small
things like benches and paved it.
They spent less than a year.
At the same time as the viaduct, they
built a large pedestrian underpass under the Prospekt (by the metro
Actually, this seems to be the city's first and only underpass with
an approach ramp for wheelchairs.
By the way, there is a small appendix to
this album with a few photographs
from September this year.
The house opposite the previously
discussed no. 77 is of the same type and by the same architect.
Here you see the two houses from the
previous photograph, only from a different angle.
A balcony up close.
You can see the paving, streetlamps and
benches that appeared here at the same time as the viaduct (this is
exactly where it stars, goes ahead and then turns to the right).
choice of wood as material for benches is, in my opinion, a major
mistake. And especially wood of such light colour and in such narrow
They should have found something more resistant to vandals.
No. 79, which is built in symmetry with
the house on the opposite side of Prospekt Stachek. Both houses are
built according to drawings by V.A. Kamenskii and Yu.A. Macheret. This
one in 1954-1955, the one on the other side, in 1957.
At that time, the city finished here, and these two houses framed the
approach to it. Across the railway (directly behind us now) were also
two granite obelisks, which disappeared after the 1960s.
And with this we finish our series of albums about Prospekt Stachek,
but the street itself is far from completion. We will continue our walk
along it at a later point.